Everyone who has ever tried to surf knows, that it takes quite some hours in the water ’til you become a real shredder! And the biggest problem about this is: not everyone is as lucky as we are, living right next to the ocean, only 10 min away from fantastic surf spots. ;) This is why surfers and their trainers always come up with new stuff to improve your surfing skills outside the sea.
Also, as the surfing community is growing more and more, new videos and blogs about surfing are popping out on the internet on a daily base and new techniques and machinery (artificial waves, simulators, dry surfing machines, etc.) are being introduced into this world (that in its very essence is/ was supposed to connect the people with the nature and the ocean through a simple board!!)
The fans of technical progress and novelties might be surprised by the fact that such a simple thing as a classic old-school skateboard or longboard is one of the best fellows of surfing. It’s not a coincidence that 99% of the surfers have at least one skate in their garage. Skating has so much in common with surfing, they are like cousins of the board sports family, so its normal that they can help each other a lot.
Here are 5 reasons why skating benefits your surfing
1. It allows you to correct your position on the board in movement on the dry land.
2. Helps with your balance on the board.
3. Helps to learn the right movements to control your board: slowing down and getting speed, as well as cut backs, turns (and even aéreos for some of us ;) )
4. Videos and photos – it’s just so much easier on land, than in the water (and the material costs less!).
5. After all it’s an exercise that keeps you fit and more confident in the water.
For these reasons, here in our Star Surf School on Fuerteventura, twice a week we run skating sessions as one part of our theory lessons. For that we have a big variety of skates and long skates in our surf house that our guests can use anytime to work on their skills and make their surf holiday a real success!!
So what do you say, are you ready to roll with Star Surf?! :)
See you soon on Fuerteventura,
Your Star Surf Camps Team Fuerteventura